"Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity...taken to its highest degree is the same thing as prayer"

Friday, August 23, 2019

Unrequited Love?

The old story was that of unrequited love. From parents, from friends, situations, opportunities, relatives, a beloved canine, my childhood journal...from the world. 

There is no question of requited or unrequited love. Love is just love. It is there, a spontaneous exchange, connection and perception of prANA. By unrequited, what we actually mean is that it was not requited in the way we wanted or expected it out of our limited and conditioned minds. 

The new story for me has at least two nuances to it. One is that I have been blind to the universe's ways of requiting my love. My environment and cultural conditioning includes an axiom that the universe does requite our love; there are no two ways about it. I stand on this fundamental ground. What's more, I have in recent times been experiencing the truth of this in many small and big ways. I have started to recognise the numerous ways my love is being requited. Just not always in the ways that I envisage it. 

The other nuance and corollary to the above is that I have always been expecting an equal and returning force of love, a requiting, from humans around me. What a huge burden to put on myself and another. This reduces my capacity of love to a transactional expectation. It also functions on a limited understanding of how people love, and constricts the space of love. Who is to decide how much is equal and the same? And how can it ever be the same when no two entities are the same? There are as many ways to love as there are creatures on Earth, or more. How is it then possible that another give me love just the way I give another? There is only one unique me, and there is only one unique another. And this is not even yet taking into considerations the vagaries of one uniqueness - the circumstances, duhkhas, preoccupations, changing aspirations, needs and whatnot through the passage of seasons and time. 

Here's then to new stories of Love, stories that have no beginning or end, but just a constant buoyant recognition of another in oneself, and self in another, or a striving for that union. 

No comments:

Post a Comment